How to Read My Newly Designed Billing Statement 

We redesigned our billing statement with you in mind.  See an example of the new billing statement here.  Newly Designed Billing Statement

What is the facilities charge on my bill?

The Facilities charge is the minimum monthly service charge for your electric service. This charge is intended to cover the cost of maintaining and keeping electrical lines among other items. The charge helps cover expenses regardless of how much electricity is used.

How much are you charging per KwH?

Review JPEC’s rate schedule for residential or commercial/industrial members.

What do you do with school tax that you collect from my bill?

All school tax that is collected is returned to the county in which you live.

What is the fuel adjustment charge on my bill?

The fuel adjustment clause (FAC) recovers a portion of the cost of coal and natural gas needed to run power plants, and costs to buy power from other utilities. It has nothing to do with the cost of gasoline. Costs for coal, gas and purchased power vary, along with weather. Changes in weather will change the amount of the fuel needed to generate power and the fuel charge.

How much is my bill and when do I get it?

The amount of your bill depends on your usage. You can check your use through our SmartHub app or online by selecting Pay Bill/Manage Account from the My Account drop-down menu. You can check your account history the day after your bill is mailed to see what you will be charged.

Your bill is sent on the same date every month. We have 5 different billing cycles. Your due date is determined by which area you live in. If you sign up for service, your member service representative will let you know what your due date is for your bill. The due date is also listed on each bill sent.

Is something wrong with my meter?

The majority of the time an electric meter fails, it will slow down or stop, rather than speed up. You may have faulty appliances in your home to cause more usage than normal. If you have concerns that your electric meter is not working properly, you may contact a member service representative and request your meter be tested, a fee will be charged. If the meter test is in your favor, we will return the fee at that time. JPEC makes periodic tests and inspections of its meters in order to maintain a high standard of accuracy and to conform with the regulations of the Kentucky Public Service Commission. We do that by replacing your meter with a new one and bringing the old meter in for testing. If a problem with a meter is found, JPEC automatically reviews your account and makes any adjustments necessary (either up or down).

Can I make payment arrangements?

You must call before your disconnect date if you want additional time. Payment arrangements can be made over the phone or in the office. You have two options: We can extend your bill date by one week past the disconnect date or, if you need longer than one week, you will be required to pay at least 1/3 of the delinquent bill.

How much will an outdoor light cost?

You can review JPEC’s outdoor light rate schedule.

Will I get my deposit back?

Yes. After 18 months, if you make your payments on time without being penalized, JPEC will apply your deposit plus interest to your account. Or, if you move, the deposit and prorated interest will be applied to your final bill. Remember, JPEC pays interest on all deposits that are held.

JPEC pays interest rates as determined by the Kentucky Public Service Commission. For more information please visit psc.ky.gov

What happens  when I move or discontinue my electric service?

When you move from your current service, you will receive a final bill or a final bill refund. This will include any membership refund or deposit refund applicable to your account.

What do I need to do to sign up for service or transfer service?

There are multiple ways to sign up for new service.  You can sign up online, in office or over the phone. A $24 connect fee is required on all new and transferred services. A deposit may be required, depending on your credit score. You will need to provide your photo ID and signature on our membership application which establishes you as a member of the Cooperative.

Why is my bill so high?

A number of reasons could contribute to a high bill. You may want to take a minute and look at the weather data chart. You can access this through the My Account menu and selecting Pay Bill/Manage Account. This will take you to the SmartHub login page to login to your account. An unusually hot month or an unusually cold month will contribute to a higher bill. The weather chart on this site graphs average highs and lows for the month and compares those readings with the normal average highs and lows for the month. Another contributing factor could be the addition of a major appliance, recent house guests or a change in your normal routine. After reviewing the graphs on this site and comparing your usage to prior months, if you still have questions, call a member service representative for further analysis. Also feel free to check out some of our Energy Tips to try and help lower your bill!

Why is my garage service on a commercial rate?

A garage, shop or shed rate is considered commercial instead of residential. According to our tariffs (Rates, Rules and Regulations for Furnishing Electric Service): Residential electric service is available for uses customarily associated with residential occupation, including lighting, cooking, heating, cooling, refrigeration, household appliances and other domestic services.

Residential KWH charge: $0.114521

Garage, shop or shed (C-1) KWH charge: $0.114521

How do I restore power after being disconnected for non-payment?

If you are disconnected for non-payment, you will be required to pay the delinquent amount of your bill, a reconnect fee of $24.00, a trip charge of $16.00 and any applicable deposits owed in order to be reconnected. Your service will be restored within 24 hours after payment is received.

What do I do if my trees are growing into power lines?

Trees and brush growing near power lines are a major cause of blinks and outages and hinders a maintenance crews’ ability to get to damaged lines quickly. JPEC’s right of way (ROW) program is the key to reliability. If you have trees growing in/around your power lines, please give member services a call. A ROW inspection will be made to determine if we will cut the trees or trim them back from the power lines (ROW Clearing and Maintenance Procedure guidelines located under Resources-Tree Trimming).