Each year, Jackson Purchase Energy Cooperative selects four high school juniors to represent the co-op and learn about leadership, cooperatives, and politics. The students spend a day at the state capitol in Frankfort, KY learning how Kentucky government works and meeting with legislators.
Two students from the Frankfort, KY Youth Tour are then chosen to join students from around the country and enjoy a free trip to Washington, DC.
The requirements are:
- Students must be between the ages of 16 – 18 and currently enrolled as a junior at a local high school or home school.
- The student’s primary residence must be served by JPEC and the JPEC account must be in the name of the student’s parent or guardian.
- The student must submit a letter of recommendation from a school guidance counselor, teacher or principal.
- The student should submit an official signed school transcript of courses and grades to date.
- The student must submit a brief, typed narrative stating why he/she wants to be a JPEC Youth Tour representative.
- The student must complete the youth tour application linked below.
- The student must not be the child or grandchild of a JPEC employee, director or attorney.
- All applications and accompanying documents should be typed. Handwritten applications will not be accepted.
- The student must attend JPEC’s annual meeting. Each student will be recognized at that time.